Saturday, January 22, 2011

A Piece of My Heart

A piece of my heart is in Mexico. I love it there. No, I'm not talking about the sunny beaches and awesome resort areas, I'm talking about a little valley in Baja California, Mexico. No sunny beaches or resort areas. Just amazing children and adults who are so caring and giving with the little that they have.
Let me start from the beginning... When I was 16 years old I went on my first out of country mission trip to this little valley in Mexico. I admit, I wasn't too keen on the idea when I first arrived. I disliked the sand/dirt/dust that was everywhere. I was scared, saddened, and shocked. I just wanted to go home to my comfortable living space with water I could drink and toilet paper I could flush.
But that quickly changed once I met the children at Welcome Home Orphanage, where we stayed for the week. They stole my heart and I quickly forgot about the rest. They became my every thought. And they took me back to Mexico every summer since. I'm now 27 and I've only missed one summer. Some years, I've traveled there more than once. I've built relationships that will last a lifetime. They are never far from my mind. I still get to see some of the very children I met on my first trip there. Amazing. Yes, I pay every summer to go to Mexico and serve. If I could, I would go more often. My time there is never long enough. I can't explain how amazing it is and awesome the people are there until you experience it yourself.
I've had the opportunity to introduce a few of my friends and my husband, Mark, to this amazing place. And this past summer (July 2010) my church went on a mission trip to this very place. I was overjoyed to share this experience with some of my closest friends.
Over the years we've painted buildings, rooms, and houses. We've built cribs, beds, benches, and tables. We've roofed a house. We've run a bible school and carnival. We've passed out food, clothes, toys, etc. But more importantly, we've built relationships. Relationships that last year after year. I look forward every year traveling back and seeing all of these smiling faces who are awaiting our arrival. Folks I will never, ever forget.
I have thousands and thousands of pictures. I treasure each and every one of them. I'm going to share just a few on here...
Ana (in pink) was the first little one to steal my heart. I met her 11 years ago, she was 2. Oh Ana, I love you.
This is Miguel. His legs "don't work." Neither do his hands. And yes, he is ALWAYS smiling.
Kiana's mom was a caretaker at Welcome Home Orphanage. Kiana's mom died of cancer a few years ago. Kiana now lives with her dad and grandparents. She is an amazing little girl who I will never forget. I'm sad she had to grow up so fast.
Kiana's grandparents and extended family. They have opened their hearts and amazing food to us.
We have so little to complain about. Really.
Jennifer and Melissa, two amazing little girls who have an amazing family.
Our Mission Group, July 2010

One of my favorite places. A large cross up on a hill. You can look out over the valley. It's an amazing view of mountains, crops, houses, roads, etc. A place that gives me hope.

Mark and a little amiga

Maria and Epifanio. We blessed them with a roof. And ended up blessing them with so much more. They had a plastic bucket that they would use for their water. Most little towns & camps do not have running water or consistent water. We blessed this amazing family with a water tank and piping so when their water would run, it would "stock up" and they would always have access to water. The cost: $100. Yes, only $100 for a lifetime of water. Shocking.

Welcome to the kitchen. Enough said.

The reason I'm sharing this photo is because one, I never use big machines like this. I failed industrial tech class in middle school. (I stapled my finger, oops.) And two, I'm 18 weeks pregnant in this photo. Yes, Levi, you traveled to Mexico with me. And I can't wait to take you when you are older. I think this little valley will steal your heart too.

Need to use the bathroom? Shower? Come on in.

Kids running to us for candy. Wish we had clothes to hand out. At least they got candy.
Oh Ruby, your smile will forever melt my heart.

Yes, a piece of my heart is there. And will always be.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing about Mexico, Kelli. I love your pictures.

    PS - We took Megan with us to the United Kingdom when I was 6 and 7 weeks pregnant with her. It's fun to be able to tell people your child already has foreign travel experience. :)

    ReplyDelete